National Defence Act (NDA)
273.6, Public service
273.6 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Governor in Council or the Minister may authorize the Canadian Forces to perform any duty involving public service.
Law enforcement assistance
(2) The Governor in Council, or the Minister on the request of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness or any other Minister, may issue directions authorizing the Canadian Forces to provide assistance in respect of any law enforcement matter if the Governor in Council or the Minister, as the case may be, considers that
- the assistance is in the national interest; and
- the matter cannot be effectively dealt with except with the assistance of the Canadian Forces.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply in respect of assistance that is of a minor nature and limited to logistical, technical or administrative support.
(4) The authority of the Minister under this section is subject to any directions issued by the Governor in Council.
1998, c. 35, s. 87 2005, c. 10, s. 34